Thursday, July 11, 2013

Update: Getting Braver


After making a few of these pups I got much braver!  I learned how to use an overcasting foot and stitch (so technical), and I've learned how to trace, cut, and piece the letters on the heat n bond faster and more efficiently!  I have also added a hood to all of my latest creations!

Notice the cupcake dot on the 'i"

Thanks to peeps like my friend Valerie, I have started trying new things in the sewing department.  It is so fun to know that I can tackle a new project and it come out less janky than expected!

It helps that Val totally believes in me.  I am only One Step Away... from being a decent sewer!  I don't feel like I can call myself a seamstress just yet, so the word "sewer" will have to suffice.

Here is the latest:

Personalized Pool Towels

Basically this project is a $4 towel (Target), scrap fabric, and Heat n Bond iron on adhesive.  We totally hand drew the letters on notebook paper.  I did use two spools of thread for the zigzag stitching. Check it out:

I think it took longer to decide which scraps to use than it did to make these!  

See?  Not janky even on the back! 

Tess is ready for me to hook her up now.  She chose the towel, fabrics, and thread.  We are thinking about adding a surf board or boom box to hers since she only has 4 letters. :) 

Monday, July 1, 2013

Sleep Sack recycle!


Brooks wearing the homemade Sleep Sack:

The skinny...

very soft, well worn, cool shirt
A friend asked me to sew a sleep sack for her little bit, and there are a ton of easy tutorials out there, but really it all comes down to the right material.  I have an old set of king sized sheets that I usually use for fabric when I am constructing something for the first time.  My boys were cleaning out their drawers and threw this shirt into the give away pile.  I have several generous friends who hand down some pretty nice clothes, so this shirt had been worn MANY MANY times.  You can guess what that means... SUPER SOFT!  So I decided to use it for my first sleep sack! 

soft baby sleep sack

All I really did was cut off arm holes and hem, add a zipper, and sew the bottom shut.  I will update with a picture of Brooks in it soon because I don't think it will be long enough for him for too much longer...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...